Tuesday, October 12, 2010

At what age does this stop?

I'm 34. Officially mid-30's. No more bullshitting my way around "33 is still in the first third of the thirties, so I'm in my early 30's still, right?" And yet tonight, I feel utterly defeated over stupid shit. I've been babbling on like an idiot for the past week (read: month) about getting a new cell phone. It's required by my employer, but I've turned it into the Most Irritating Possible Quest for a Holy Grail Noone Else Gives a Shit About. Brandi was kind enough to a) be at home today when the UPS guy showed up and b) let me know my phone was here. I wouldn't have blamed her if she gave it to the dogs as a chew toy and prayed it came out their respective back ends in pieces for as much as I've been debating this damned thing out loud.

So I came home for lunch today and plugged the phone into the charger first thing. It was ready to rock & roll by the time lunch was over, so I took it with me for my afternoon full of sales calls. In between calls, I set a few options here & there for notifications on calls, emails, texts, etc., but didn't have one of my usual "super dork" experiences where I pick up a device I'm not intimately familiar with and have it all figured out in 5 minutes flat. What's even worse is that Brandi IS that familiar with it because she, unlike me, actually took time to read the instructions.

Soooooo..... I manage to further irritate her by openly bitching about how I can't find this, that or the other feature, can't get the phone setup right, blah blah blah. In my defense, our cell carrier didn't have the Super New Cool Extra Funky Fresh features set to switch on until Friday (today's Wednesday and I set all this shit up last week, so I fail to see how that is supposed to be helpful?). But that only addresses part of my stupidity. The rest is all me for not reading the manual. So anyway, as I said, I've irritated her even further about this goddamnmotherfucking phone of which she has the exact same model (got it a week before mine) and loves hers, while probably wishing mine shared the same existence as a legitimate musical album from Limp Bizkit (read: never happened). Now I feel dumb and like I'm nothing more than irritant to her lately. The brown icing on this shitcake is that even AFTER she stepped in to show me how to set a wake-up alarm (shouldn't that be easy? probably is...), I still couldn't figure out how she did it. You have to appreciate how rare this is for me. If you've read her blog at all in the past few weeks, you'd know that I can do everything including brake jobs, tear apart/repair & reconstruct an Xbox 360, build a room onto a house, etc.

So why the fuck is a phone whooping my ass? Answer: I have no idea, but tonight has officially sucked. I feel stupid, I feel like an irritant whose company is rightfully unwanted, and like I just didn't contribute shit to anything tonight. This is seriously not a pity party for me (trust me, I want to slap me, too), I just needed to get some shit off my chest and, for some unholy reason, felt the need to write it down. Apparently publicly. Which still feels weird, putting my shit out for public-ish consumption. Keep feeling like somehow this is going to get used against me in court or something. Not to preempt anyone's response, but I could seriously do without the "keep your chin up, it'll get better" shit. Does nothing for me. I know this will pass and tomorrow will probably be a great day. However, if you've got anything else to say, by all means, share with the group...

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm...if you don't want anyone to tell you to "keep your chin up", can I just tell you to pull your head out of your ass and read the manual? :D
    Knowing you though, and evidenced by the fact that you didn't turn on the security alarm last night, I assume that you fell asleep on the couch, which means you DID read the manual, but still didn't figure out the alarm. It's tricky, and I'm full of the AWESOME...so I'll cut you some slack and show you later tonight how to use your SuperCoolFunkyFresh new toy. Because, again, I'm full of the AWESOME. You're welcome. I might even cook you dinner, Sensei. You're welcome, again. Are you full up of my smart-ass AWESOMENESS yet? Mmmmkay.Bye.

    ReplyDelete